Majors Safe From Outsourcing: Review the top list of programs and majors safe from outsourcing in today's global economy. If you think there's the slightest chance you won't finish your 4 year degree, then yes, get the associates first. Specialty Associate Degree. So I’m taking the 2 extra classes to get a degree and then transfer. This means not finishing can cheat you out of some money. 100% of our students graduate with both their diploma and their degree. Find your best transfer destination. Otherwise don't bother. Therefore, institutions offering substitutions for math generally allow students to replace math only by demonstrating these abilities in … Associates Degree before transferring. Universities often are selective with the credits that they accept when those credits didn’t lead to a degree. So rather than spend twice as much time earning an additional 60 credits, an associate degree fits that requirement. 2. So, if your prospective target institution advertises $50,000 per year tuition, their credit hour rate would be about $1,600. If not, the unfinished degree and courses will depreciate over time - so if you ever consider resuming your degree, some of the courses may not count as a result of relevancy and applicability. Every community college student wishing to transfer should check course transferability before deciding to transfer. You don't have to have an associates when you transfer. If you did not do the associates program in high school go straight to your bachelors because it would be a lot of extra work. Explore the Top Ten Reasons Students and Learners Transfer. As you might have already guessed, an associate of science degree is geared towards math and science-related careers. Associate Degree for Transfer - A Degree with a Guarantee. Yes. Mr. Moldoff graduated from Drexel University through the cooperative education program and majored in economics with a minor in marketing. Open a Student Passport account. Explore the Top Ten Reasons Students and Learners Transfer Colleges and Universities. Normally I’m a proponent of “finish what you started.”  That’s not a hard & fast rule, mind you, but something I generally lean toward. The data revealed that associate’s degree holders were eligible for at least 100,000 more job postings than those with only a high school degree. Develop your course plan. This means not finishing can cheat you out of some money. Even with relatively low loans, I was paying the cost of a new HD TV every month. I agree with Josh. That might not be the case with you, Jasmine, so ultimately I would encourage you to choose which feels like the best thing to do for YOU in the long run, not for others. to save a lot in expenses (which I assume you have), and the schools are usually set-up for you to transfer as a Junior, and so a program completion would more align with the classes you should have for a smooth transfer, but not if you have to do another full year. Do your own research, and then make your decisions. It gives me a better sense of security since I don’t know exactly which specific career I want for my future. Associate of science transfer (AS-T) degree (Tracks I and II) If you have an associate of science transfer (AS-T) degree, you’ll generally be given junior standing when you transfer to WSU. Finally, if you are ready to prepare for transfer, open an account next and utilize the system to find your way. Search for Transfer Articulation Agreements, transfer agreements published by your current school, course equivalencies by sender or receiver. This step will help you identify some of the best transfer options for your goals, and that starts with the associate degree yo… Could have cut those down by spending another semester at CC. Since most bachelor degree programs require college-level math, associate degrees meant for transfer also typically insist students take such courses. There is a lot of good advice on this page, but I want to add something else. Hi Jasmine – thanks for stopping by. Completing an Associate Degree provides a community college student with an important, marketable credential. If you’d like help navigating the quickest path, I’d be happy to help you figure it out. When you graduate from the four-year college, only that college’s name will appear on your bachelor’s degree. I Want to Change My Major or Choose My Major: Eastern West Virginia Community and Technical College, California State University-Dominguez Hills. Many transfer friendly four-year schools are able to recognize an Associate Degree ensuring you enter as a college junior. Mr. Moldoff has been developing student centered enrollment systems since the 70's spanning multiple institutions, policies and practices. I am part of a STARS (transfer program) so it makes sure I only take core classes that I need AND that will transfer to whichever university I want to transfer to. You do NOT need an AA, and most 4 year schools will only take 60 credits. Fact #2 Upload documents securely. So am I side stepping your bottom line questions of what exactly you should do? It is all about making transitional plan. Associate of business -> … I am currently attending a community college as well & had always planned on transferring to the university in my town to get my bachelor’s in design. Assemble your academic history. A major is not a life sentence. Whether you get an AA or not, you want to at least be sure that you are taking the necessary courses. First things first – not everyone will be supportive of some of your decisions – and they may even be right in the end – but that doesn’t mean you shouldn’t make your own choices and do what you feel is best fro you. With my major, I can go into so many different field areas, so if a job opportunity ever comes up, or something happens that prevents me from going to school for a while, I have something to show for what school I did complete. If your credits are transferrable and if your remaining classes corresponds to the university’s curriculum, you can receive credit towards your Associate of Arts Degree and credit towards your Bachelor’s Degree. However, the AS-T degree may not fulfill all WSU’s University Common Requirements (UCORE). To me, it looks more credible to have a degree for what I worked for, rather than just a number of credits when entering a new school. It is just a concentration that proves you can focus and apply yourself. If so, you may be able to transfer to the school you want with a relatively minor review process. Check out information for transfer students. The CC folks aren’t going to want you to leave. Your prospective college and scholarship may look at you differently (not sure). So I need your advice on what I should do. That’s something only Jasmine can ultimately decide. I’d also recommend talking to the 4 year counselor first. Therefore, you may not be able to transfer as many credits when you … Choosing Your Major: A list of popular college majors and resources you can review such as related occupations, salary and the types of tasks, work environment and expected requirements. If you are coming back to college with an academic history from a few years back, explore course equivalencies by sender or receiver or better yet, use the "Will My Credits Transfer" wizard to find your best transfer options. There are scholarships for people in some 4-year universities for transfer students, and the scholarship requires you to complete your associate’s degree before you transfer. If it’s going to cost you, or you can’t get good placement, no reason to hang around any longer than necessary. Completing an Associate Degree "locks in" your college course credits ensuring the credential has a lifetime value. You can also contact the 4-year enrollment/academic advisor and have them to review your transcript, your goal (major), and you next course of action. Some things to keep in mind, and maybe weigh up: So, finishing courses that can transfer and be counted as equivalent - offers a significant savings. Explore PLA (Prior Learning Assessment) and the growing acceptance of it. They think I should complete my associate degree then transfer. Also here in NC, if you transfer in to a university, and you exceed a certain number of credit hours during your course of study (I think it’s 10 percent more than the published number of needed hours for your degree, or about 4 classes), you get to pay a ‘tuition surcharge.’ This can easily wipe out your savings on the first two years. Not every credit may be used to propel you toward your Bachelor’s Degree, but it is a real degree and can also help you get a job. Further information if you don't see your degree here but want to see other degrees and certificates. In some cases, having a completed associates degree can help you get admitted to a completion program if your new school has what’s known as an “articulation agreement” with your original school. Who Is Eligible For The Teacher Scholarships. So, check the credit hour tuition rates at the institutions you attended or are contemplating. If tuition is presented as an annual number, divide by 30 as an estimator. That rgiht there is a great reason NOT to get an AA. Talk to an adviser at your school and at the schools you want to transfer at and figure out what classes will transfer and just take those-- try to get as many prerequisites and gen ed classes out of the way as possible. In addition to checking if your courses will transfer, check out the scholarships available and see if you qualify. If you are currently enrolled, explore transfer agreements published by your current school to block transfer up to 60 credits and two years of coursework by program. That was the best decision for me at the time. That way you do not have to take classes you do not need. (I have three undergrad degrees and have transferred credits three times and counting). Finishing a two year program and transferring the full block of 60 credits could save upwards of a $100,000 on tuition and fees - depending on the tuition rates of course. Notify me of follow-up comments via e-mail. In addition to maximizing your transfer credit, our simple transfer credit process makes it easy to see how previously earned credit will transfer toward your associate degree. This means students who complete associate degrees will only have to spend, on average, two additional … If you transfer out early before finishing your Associates Degree - and you do not finish your Baccalaureate Degree, you will have earned no credential. Anyhow, if for whatever reason that you are not able to continue with your four-year xollege plan, at least you have an AA. But of course you make the final decision. Your high school grades don’t matter. Good luck! There’s one huge advantage to finishing your AA: BLOCK TRANSFER!!! Colleges and Universities are giving credit for life experiences that relate to courses they offer.